Farm Industry News
The Nebraska Tractor Test Lab’s Roger Hoy offers this list of questions to consider when buying your next 174-plus-hp tractor:
Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) systems
- How much diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) is required?
- What is the cost of DEF? (This number varies significantly when you compare buying the jugs that contain several gallons with buying in bulk.)
- Will I need an additional pump and tank to store DEF and possibly an additional supplier?
- Because DEF is a consumable fluid, how can I compare the total consumable fluid cost of a SCR system to both a Tier 3 system and a diesel particulate filter (DPF) system for various farming operations?
- If I choose an EGR/DPF system now, will I have to deal with DEF anyway when final Tier 4 is introduced in 2014?
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) systems
- How often will active regeneration occur in various farming operations?
- How much incremental diesel fuel will be expended in active regeneration?
- Can I continue using the tractor as I like during an active regeneration or will productive farming operations be affected during regenerations?
- How can I compare diesel fuel costs to traditional Tier 3 systems and the SCR systems that use both diesel and DEF?
- If I choose a DEF system now, will I have to deal with a DPF system anyway when Final Tier 4 is introduced?